Attendance/Abcences & Medical Appointments
Learner attendance and punctuality is recorded electronically using SIMS; it is recorded daily in the morning session and the afternoon session.
Registers will close after the main session begins and the registers are taken (9.00am). As a result, learners registering between 9.00am and 9.20am will be recorded with a late mark. Learners registering after 9.20am will be marked as a U and given an unauthorised absence mark.
All late arrivals (after 9.00am) need to enter via the academy office and all children must be accompanied by and adult.
- Day 1 of absence – Inform the academy before 9:00am of the reason and expected date of return of your child, plus any medical advice given or visits made.
- Day 3 of absence – Update the academy on your child’s progress, any medical advice given and confirmation of when your child will return, especially if the condition worsens.
- Day 5 onward – Update the academy on your child’s progress.
- Medical evidence will be required for five days of absence or more.
- Medical Evidence Example letter
It is a parent/carers responsibility to inform the academy of an absence, please note if the above procedure is not followed and contact has not been made, we may undertake a home visit.
In addition, a random selection of home visits will take place for families who have contacted the academy. The safety of our children is our number one priority.
To report an absence please either call us on 846171 or leave an answerphone message if before 8:00am. Alternatively you can email the academy office:
If a reason for absence is not provided within 7 days, the absence will be recorded as unauthorised.
Medical Appointments (Hospital, Doctors, Dentist, Opticians etc) if your child is absent due to a medical appointment, you will be required to provide an appointment card or letter from the practice in advance if possible, or alternatively, medical appointment cards are available from the academy office. This should be emailed to email@example.com
Absence for Exceptional Circumstances If you wish for your child to be absent from the academy for any reason other than medical appointments, you will need to complete a request form. This form is attached below with a separate guidance sheet. A copy of the form and guidance can also be obtained from the office.